Sunday 2 March 2014

Finishing University!


Three years ago I started my Criminology degree at University, soooo I thought I had quite a lot of time to decide what I actually want to do afterwards... I now have 6 weeks left and have pretty much no idea. I know that some people can get quite worried once they finish and don't really have a clear direction of where they want to go or what they want to be doing, but I think that's quite natural and that quite a lot of people feel that way after they have finished a part of their lives whether they have been to university or not.

I have a couple of ideas as to what career I would like to get into, but the question was whether I want to be jumping into a full-time job straight away, because I've heard many times that if you put off going travelling you will probably never get round to it. I've got a few ideas as to what I will do when I'm back: finding a full-time job to gather some money together whlist looking for something more suited to me in the meantime, or I would like to look into a graduate scheme in Buying & Merchandising as for some the entry requirements are any type of degree qualification. Hopefully I should have a degree in 6 weeks.

So I came to the decision that I wanted to look into going to America after I finish, this is when I came across 'Camp Leaders' which is very similar to Camp America. This is where you work in a children's summer camp for three months and are given the opportunity to travel around America afterwards. So, I got through the interview stages for this, but after a while came to the decision that it wouldn't really be for me as I was something I had always talked about doing with my family and boyfriend and that it wouldn't really be the same. I decided that I would hold off on America until I could go on a long holiday travelling with my family and this led to me looking into visiting my family in Australia. I thought that I could stay there for the same amount of time as Camp Leaders, but I would get to do it with my family. However, dates started to become an issue as I have to make sure I can fit it around their available dates which were a bit soon for me to save enough. SO, that's also been put on hold until next year.

I was going to just give up on the travel idea and just have a week somewhere in Europe, but then we were lucky enough to be presented with an opportunity to live in New Zealand for three months! This is because the company my boyfriend works for want to send him out there to work in the New Zealand Branch. Which is just kind of perfect because I will get to spend time exploring and lots of time together at weekends which we haven't had for about 2 years due to my work. I am so excited to be going there and I have done lots of research into the different types of activities I can do, such as Skydiving, Wildlife Safaris etc. I've put some pictures of the place where we will be living (Wanaka) and I really can't wait.


Wanaka - New Zealand




 Lake Wanaka - New Zealand


I think that there are lots of different options to choose from after you finish University or any Full-time education and I think you just have to look into these ideas until you find what feels right for you.
When I return I'm going to look into the job ideas I have, but just see where that takes me really, but I think the best approach to take is just not to panic; as it takes time to find the option that's right for you. I think that a person should take the time to do the things that will make them happy, rather than trying to please everyone else. If there is something you want to do you should go for it, as we only get once chance. I also found a quote that I thought was quite nice (I just love quotes).

I believe that half the trouble in the world, comes from people asking 'What have I achieved' rather than 'What have I enjoyed'.

I've also listed some links to the ideas mentioned incase anyone is looking for inspiration!

Camp Leaders Website: http://www.campleaders.com/gb/
Camp America: http://campamerica.co.uk/
Trek Amercia (Help planning travelling around America) : http://www.trekamerica.co.uk/
Get Australia Website (Help working in Australia): http://www.getaustralia.com/
Graduate Schemes In The UK: http://targetjobs.co.uk/graduate-schemes

Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment