Monday 7 November 2016

Thailand, Amsterdam and Mykonos

Thailand:
Last March I was lucky enough to take a trip to Phuket in Thailand. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been. We stayed in the JW Marriott Phuket Resort which is the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed. So all in all a great Holiday.
Maya Bay - Phi Phi Island

If you have seen the film 'The beach', which you should have (go now, do it now) you'll know that its set on an island that has a beach resembling paradise. This is filmed in Thailand on an island called Phi Phi Island, the beach is named Maya Bay and is absolutely beautiful. Its on my bucket list to visit this beach so I was so excited, I had a wonderful day going round the islands on a boat, stopping for lunch and swimming with fish (including jellyfish - which I held). I've heard from friends that this beach can get really busy with tourists, it wasn't too bad on the day we visited but I would advise a day boat trip so you can see some of the quiet islands too to avoid disappointment. But I loved it, I put my headphones in, listened to my favourite song which happens to be from the film, and just loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVNdTXEJv1A - All Saints - Pure Shores

Maya Bay








Other trips in Thailand included a trip to the Elephant Sanctuary, I wanted to make sure if I went on an Elephant ride that it was somewhere where the elephants were treated well and cared for. The sanctuary was perfect, they teach you about the elephants before hand and it was a great day out. The sanctuary is called Siam Safari.

Siam Safari


For the rest of the two weeks I lounged and ate, then ate and lounged. The hotel was beautiful and I cannot recommend it enough, it was like a village, the people were so friendly/do everything for you and the beaches are like nothing I've ever seen before. 

JW Marriott Phuket Resort
 
One of the pool areas

Hotel beach

Amsterdam:
This holiday was great, I had so much fun and it was filled with laughter. My aim of the trip was to get on top of the Amsterdam sign and its safe to say I failed at this task, BUT I look so damn happy trying that its one of my favourite photos.


Places you need to go in Amsterdam...

Red Light District: It isn't for everyone, but it's a very surreal experience that I believe everyone to should have whilst visiting Amsterdam. It's an odd place and might make you feel slightly weird but I found it so interesting and its full of museums that give you the history of the trade and how it became that way. I also went to a peep show, yes, a peep show. There is a show you go into, you stand in a tiny cupboard-like booth that has a misty window inside. You pop 2 euros into the coin taker and the window becomes clear for 2 minutes. Reality becomes a blur. Ha, in all seriousness it was such a fun experience, very odd seeing all the people in the other booths watching the 'show' but I would really say its something that should be done, to get the real feel of Amsterdam. The Museum of Prostitution was a really good museum and had so much information about how it all started and what its like from there perspective, a real eye opener.

The Fault in our Stars Bench:
This is a must, if you've seen the film of course. Yes its just a bench, but its THE bench. There are so many notes and quotes written on this bench that its really cute to go and have a sit to take in the surroundings. The main reason I would send you here is that the area you end up in was one of the prettiest parts of Amsterdam for me. The canals were beautiful and the little shops/lights were just ideal. 
The bench

Nightlife:
There are a lot of bars and clubs in Amsterdam, a lot of the hostels also have clubs next to them so if you're wanting to sleep at a reasonable hour I would suggest staying a bit further out of the main town. You can get a tram to practically anywhere, if you buy a day pass or two day pass it works out so cheap to get around. If I'm perfectly honest I do not remember most of the club names, but I had a blast. Be safe because it can be a dangerous place if you aren't sensible.





 

Anne Frank Museum:
I walked up to the museum and the queue went on down the road for as far as I could see. I would recommend getting up early to do this as I ended up not going - so it's on my list for next time!



Walks:
My biggest piece of advice for Amsterdam would be to explore, there are so many walkways and paths with artistic drawings on the floor and walls.
 

 
So many cafes and places to see, I would get a bike and have a ride around as I can't really explain how pretty it is I think you need to get on over there for an adventure.






Mykonos:
This is a beautiful place in Greece. As in breath-taking. I visited Mykonos in September and the days were so hot, it cooled down drastically at night time but I was really lucky with the weather.

Adelmar Hotel & Suites - Mykonos Greece

I would recommend this hotel over and over again it was so lovely, the hotel was called Adelmar Hotel & Suites and was in Platys Gialos.
 

 
It was the most relaxed I've been since Thailand, with an infinity pool and views over the ocean. The food in the hotel was amazing, although you can get to Mykonos town for just under 2 Euros where there are so many bars, restaurants, crepes shops etc. Its the most beautiful town I could have walked around it for days. I think I did. I really didn't do much else this holiday, its a great place for a girly getaway or some chilled out time off.
 

Mykonos Town


 

No comments:

Post a Comment