Tuesday 6 August 2013

Charity Skydive for Beating Bowel Cancer!



Saturday was an amazing day, the day of my charity skydive for the 'Beating Bowel Cancer' Charity. This was my second tandem skydive, my first was when I turned 18, but this time I wanted to raise money for a charity of my choice, and it was unbelievable. 

With the skydive airfield being about an hour and a half away, we had to leave at 6:00am to arrive before my 8:00am check in time. Now I am late for almost everything but when it comes to my adrenaline junkie days it's like WOAH she's half an hour early. Some of the centres chose the groups on a first come first serve basis and I wanted to fly in an early plane. However, this time I decided I would like an assigned camera man (best decision ever) so I was in the air about 12:30 because there are only so many of them. This was okay though because the Skydive centre had a cute cafe and bar so I got some breakfast and a cup of tea.
Was I nervous, yes - But definitely more excited, the people at the airfield were so friendly and organised and they make you feel like you know what your doing in training when they check each of you individually when you practice the body position. After 30 Minutes training and lots of people thanking me for raising money for a wonderful charity, it was my turn. 





Well, when I get nervous my gums go all tingly, and yes I know this is weird and the skydiver attached to me was probably thinking I was very strange to keep moving my jaw, but I didn't care. The Skydiver I had was amazing and so was my photographer, both so friendly and chatty, and the views from the plane are just amazing. Then they start to tighten your straps and talk you through exiting the plane. You start to see people jumping out, and the camera men diving out, (they are crazy) and then it's your turn. On my previous skydive I sat on the edge of the plane, but this time I was sort of rocked back and forward before diving out , and it was THE best moment ever. I would definitely recommend a photographer as they make you enjoy the experience a whole lot more as you aren't worrying about your hands and arms. I don't know quite how I managed to smile the entire time but in the photos I look like the happiest person alive and I really was. In many of the photos my face looks slightly unusual, resembling someone with a giant hairdryer blowing in their mouth, but I loved every second of it and the photos are amazing! The hat also makes my head look like a peanut, but I loved it all so much I was gonna take it home and wear it everyday.


The response and support I received was lovely and I feel so proud, for doing a skydive and also for raising hundreds of pounds for charity. I would recommend doing a tandem skydive to anyone, at least once in your lifetime, and if your an adrenaline crazed frenzy like me, just keep doing them!



 I would also recommend the Go Skydive centre in Salisbury, all the staff were incredible and my skydive instructor was just the best. I did my skydive from 10'000ft this time, but you can upgrade it to 15'000ft, I booked it through skyline online and it was extremely easy to do, and they make sure you know and have everything you need. I received a sexy t-shirt from my charity, a skydiving certificate and couldn't stop smiling all day!




For the curious ones, Clouds taste like salt.

Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment