Monday 25 September 2017

DIY Halloween Decor Ideas

I don't want to mention my Halloween costume for this year yet as I will do a post about this on Halloween. However, I thought that I could share some of the ideas that I thought looked great. We have a Halloween party each year so I'm also going to talk about the Halloween decorations that we are looking to make for this year's party. These photos/decorations are not mine but I will show your our version on Halloween. OOOOO exciting.



So my Auntie (Lady Westwood) happens to be a whizz with Paper mache. Which is very very helpful around Halloween. We add to our collection of decorations each year and were taking a look together at the possible additions this year. 

I will be posting the whole of our outdoor and indoor decorations on Halloween.


We have a tree in our front garden and thought this would be great if we could make the hands out of paper mache and attach them around the tree as above. Another option would be to put our hands into a mould and let that set, I have a construction friend who has said he could help me out with this very easily. After either one of those options we can paint them to look like dead hands. Dead hands everywhere. Maybe I should throw some doing the toilet to freak some party guests out too. We shall see. 




Right, I'm not too sure how Auntie Dee is planning on doing this one, but she has told me its possible. We are currently looking at different ways to make the body shape, I have seen this done before with pipes that create a human-like frame. Then we are going to hang dust sheets over it and cut those into shape. I think. 
This could go terribly wrong but hey its Halloween, the worse it looks, the better.




Next up is Good'ol Jack. 
Cardboard, paint and a hideous paper mache face.  
For the spring we will use a pole and wrap a slinky around it, which probably won't look as good as the picture above. But HEY its DIY.
The letters on the outside of the box can be B.O.O
I'm cool like that. 



For this young lady, we were planning on using mesh to make the figure. It's easily bendable material that we could mould how we'd like. A standard wig and a night dress can be placed on top so that it resembles a girl (as people like me find the film 'the ring' scary). We may decide that we want to just leave it as a mesh figure and put the transparent sheet over the top to create more of a ghost effect. 



So this creepy guy seems like a great addition to the Halloween family. I will be looking for the clothes at a local charity shop, any long coat will do as I think this creates a scarier effect than just a check shirt etc. 
I'm going to be finding some burlap (hessian material) - basically a sack. This will be then covered with water. I'll then get rid of the excess water and stretch the material over a face/toy face. The material will then hold this shape. I am most likely going to add some PVA glue to this depending on how well it holds. If you were planning on making this type of thing for a mask, then the glue is a big no no. You don't want to be inhaling glue all night so just stick to the water. I'm going to also add some black paint around the eye sockets but nothing around the mouth.






So this is the one I'm look forward to trying out. It might look terrible but it's worth a try. We will be using a palette and already have some of the chains which are easily available and cheap from Asda or Wilkos in the Halloween section. We have some of the body parts already from previous years but these are also cheap from those stores. Those will be poked out various parts of the palette, I've also been thinking that we could add some masks in there for extra spookiness. I've seen some photos of it being done with lights too, by placing them underneath the palette. I think red ones will work best but we shall see.

Looking forward to trying them all out and to HALLOWEEN in general.

Any recommendations are welcome. We love a challenge and I will have a Halloween post up soon to show you how we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment