Saturday 9 November 2013

My Trip Back to New York City!

In October this year I was lucky enough to have a second visit to one of my favourite places in the entire world, New York City!! I think it's just so amazing, with so many different things to do and is just a beautiful city. This year I went for 7 days and got to explore some of the less 'touristy' attractions as my friend was living there and had lots to show us! I didn't visit the Empire State Building or Rockefeller Centre this time as we got to do that on our first trip but both of those are a must when visiting NYC! With it being Fall (Autumn), the leaves had all turned, making it all so pretty and it was a nice temperature for someone walking around a lot. I would definitely recommend going at this time of year, especially as I got to be there around my favourite time of year, Halloween! And was able to see loads of Halloween themed houses/shops and go to some amazing Halloween parties and events!  

Central Park


Was it expensive, yes, but that's because I wanted to shop everywhere, all the time. Flights and accommodation weren't really too much money in total as we spent a couple of days staying at my friends too which helped with the overall cost, and meant more shopping money, which I was all for. When you go to New York there's so much to do that I couldn't possibly write about all of it but I decided to focus on some of the trip highlights. On our first full day we decided we would grab some ice cream and then walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn, we paid for a $30.00 Subway card which gives you unlimited use for 7 days and I would recommend this to anyone planning to use the subway to get around. It was definitely the cheapest way of doing it and I used it hundreds of times so it was great value for money!

We got to Brooklyn and it was beautiful, definitely go there, you get some great pictures of the New York Skyline and it's got some very peaceful gardens and is a bit less hectic than Manhattan. Due to our holiday being around Halloween time we decided to book with Groupon for an evening in a Haunted House in the middle of Times Square called 'Times Scare'. Make sure if you book with Groupon you read the fine print as sometimes there can be an extra fee to pay when you arrive at the venue. SPOILER ALERT: Seeings as I was at the front of my group in the Haunted House I think I did quite well, seeings as it was quite horrifying and I do feel bad for the actors jumping out at me as I was just screaming repeatedly in there faces. Overall, I loved the Haunted House, I love all things like that, and I don't think it was too scary in all, apart from a point in which I was generally running for my life, away from a crazed clown with what I still honestly believe was an actual chainsaw. I have never seen people as scared as the two girls behind us who I'm sure will probably still be having nightmares about it, it was just horrific, but also hilariously funny. So I recommend doing something like Times Scare, as they have Haunted Houses that run all year round and I have heard that a lot of them are pretty crazy.

Here is the link for the Times Scare Trailer, so you can see what I'm talking about, IF YOU DARE?



Some Highlights of My Trip

One of my favourite nights in NYC was at the New York Knicks Game. It was my first basketball game and I absolutely loved it, it's just so great to watch and get involved in, they have amazing audience entertainment in the breaks, for example the cheerleaders & dancers and people shooting free t-shirts out of a canon-gun thing! Tickets are quite expensive but it is definitely worth it, we also managed to get tickets for the night Madison Square Gardens Re-opened after it's refurbishment and that was just awesome, free t-shirts on the door, who doesn't love a free t-shirt. 
We spent our Saturday morning in New York at a Dog Halloween Fashion Parade. It sounds weird but it wasn't I just loved it, never have I seen such friendly dogs and there were literally hundreds of them, in every costume you can think of. I decided before we got there I wanted to find a dog in a Yoda costume, and of course there in the park, was Yoda Dog. I saw taco dogs, hashtag dogs, lobster dogs and of course a Miley Cyrus 'twerking' dog. The only costume I found a bit too strange was a little Chihuahua bride, only because the man holding her was dressed as the groom, and it was just a tad creepy town.


Skyline from Brooklyn & Times Square

Some other great experiences were sneaking into a College Halloween Party at Dave & Busters which was probably the best night of the holiday, best party hands down I've ever been to, these American kids sure can dance. I've uploaded the break dance video onto my personal Instagram @amyscurr so I'd get on over there to watch that!! Times Square is obviously a highlight, you've gotta be crazy to not be amazed by that place, explaining it just doesn't do it justice so if you get the chance to go to New York, I would definitely put some time aside for visiting it at least twice! 

We travelled over to Coney Island which is definitely an all day thing, as it takes around an hour on the Subway to get there. I think you either love or hate Coney Island, I think it's pretty awesome and the beach is so beautiful but if the park is closed there isn't really much else to do if you don't like having just a general wonder. If you visit Coney Island make sure you have something to eat in Nathans, a hotdog (which i think they are quite famous for), or a corn dog whatever you like, but order the cheesy fries, you just need to do it. The New York Aquarium is situated at Coney Island, and it is great fun, however after the storms last year and hurricane Sandy, its lacking quite a bit in the fish department, as in... there's a few fish tanks, a walrus, a couple of sea lions and I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the penguins running off. But, seeings as the aquarium only has a suggested price, you can pretty much pay what you want so I had a really great day there only costing $5.00.
Overall, this trip to New York has been my favourite Holiday so far, it's an amazing place, and there is so much to do for everyone. Central Park is great for walking around for some peace and quiet it's got some beautiful views where you can get some great photographs by the lakes or in the zoo! The stores are incredible I would recommend visiting Macy's, Nike Town and Bloomingdales, there are also a number of MAC and Sephora stores spread around the city for beauty and makeup products! Plus, Forever 21 is a MUST, this is where I spent most of my time and money and the biggest Victoria's Secret store ever is in New York, that shop is unbelievable the staff are extra friendly too. I managed to spend quite a fair bit of money shopping so there will be a separate post for my New York purchases.




Coney Island & New York Aquarium

I hope to be able to visit New York again soon, and would love to hear about anyone else's experiences there! Plus, anyone who hasn't been to or heard of the Shake Shack, needs to get there pronto, the burgers will complete your life.

Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment