Saturday 9 November 2013

Halloween Makeup: The Creepy Clown

Halloween happens to be my favourite time of year, ever! I love dressing up and getting my scare on, it's that time of year I get to purposely make myself as hideous and creepy as possible and people compliment me for it! I love to try out something different each year, last year I was a Zombie Nurse and managed to freak a fair few people out, but this year I wanted to really go to Creepy Town, and I know quite a lot of people get freaked out by clowns. So, I decided it had to be a Creepy Clown.

Before starting on my own costume this year I was asked to do a few of my friends makeup so I did some little practice sessions on my hand. My friend went as a Zombie Surgeon so I needed to be able to make a deep Zombie bite mark. To do this I blended Special FX Wax into my skin, formed individual teeth marks with a small wooden cuticle stick then covered this with Ben Nye Liquid Latex. I grabbed a small cheap face paint palette which you can buy from Wilkinson or Tescos and used the black to paint inside the wound. I painted over this with red paint from my palette also painting around the wound to make it look bruised and sore. I used Ben Nye Stage Blood, which I brushed inside the wound and around it to make it look realistic. The picture below shows my practice session, but when I did it for real I added a lot more bruising and blood!


Practicing a Zombie Bite


Getting myself ready for Halloween only took around 20 minutes in total which isn't too long for the entire costume, hair and makeup! I started by painting my whole face white with a wet sponge with my small paint palette from Tescos, the great thing about being a dead/zombie clown is that you don't have to be too precise you can make it messy. I used an eyeshadow blending brush (or you can use a paintbrush) with black paint to create diamond shape eyes, but again I left them messy to add effect. I used the same technique as when I created the Zombie bite when creating the 'Chelsea Smile' mouth, this was with Special FX Wax and Liquid Latex On top. This took a while to blend in due to the paint on my face so I would suggest that you add the wax to the face before painting it white. You can spread the wax and liquid latex as far up your face as you want to make the smile bigger, I then painted the inside black and red, then added the Stage blood inside and all along my face to make it freakier. Rather than painting my nose red I just added a small circle of stage blood to it, as I preferred how this looked. Right, my eyes... one of my favourite pairs of contact lenses, and they are called White Mesh Contacts. I find these bearable for the entire night as you can still see easily through the small holes in the contacts, vision is just a little blurry. For my hair, I put in a set of old/spare hair extensions so that it didn't matter if they became ruined, and used spray in hair colour to dye Half of my hair orange and half green. These hair colour sprays were from Asda, but you can find them in lots of supermarkets or in Claire's Accessories. 


Full Costume & Makeup

The dress that I wore, I had ordered online and only just arrived in time, so if you are ordering online make sure the estimated arrival time is well before you need the costume! There are lots of clown costumes available from various stores, Asda does a female clown dress as well. This one is a Leg Avenue Dress, which included the Bow Tie and Hat.

Close Up

Overall, this is my favourite Halloween costume so far, I really enjoyed getting ready and I love the horrified looks people give me! I'm already excited to start coming up with ideas for next years costume, so let me know if anyone has any ideas!

Amy x

Products Used:

* Ben Nye Stage Blood (Bought when in US) - $6.00 but can be purchased for £4.50 in UK
* Ben Nye Liquid Latex - $4.99
* Orange & Green Hair Colour Sprays - Asda £3.00 Each
* Clown Dress with Bow Tie & Hat - http://www.legavenue.com/costumes/
* Cuticle Sticks - Wilkinson £0.50 for a pack of 10
* White Mesh Contact Lenses - www.eyesbright.com £12.95 per pair
* Small Paint Palette - Tescos £3.99 for the 'Goth Makeup Kit' which includes     red http://www.tescoparty.com/ShowProducts.aspx?pageid=653
* Snazaroo Special FX Wax 18ml - £3.99 in Partyshop


No comments:

Post a Comment